21 March 2010

Happy 325th, Johann

To celebrate the 325th birthday of the greatest of all composers, Johann Sebastian Bach, I'll post a video I found on YouTube of Jethro Tull playing a unique version of the Violin Concerto for Two Violins, Strings, and Continuo (BWV 1043).

Though I like Jethro Tull and am a big fan of violinist/keyboardist Eddie Jobson, I would not have been inclined to turn to them in particular for exceptional performances of Bach's music! However, in this video, at about the 4:30 mark, they do something fun and appropriate for the day.



One other point of interest: It turns out there is some ambiguity about when to celebrate Bach's birthday. Wikipedia shows his birthday as 31 Mar 1685, with 21 Mar 1685 corresponding to the Julian calendar (as opposed to the Gregorian calendar). I figure no matter which one I pick, I'm accurate to about 84 ppm, which is close enough.

No comments: